Windows 10 Windows Defender update keeps causing problems

• Thread starter Thread starter catarlna
  • Start date Start date
C

catarlna

A few days ago my laptop wasn't turning off/on properly. It would take really long to shut down (like a minute or two, instead of the usual few short seconds) and then when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't - it would be stuck on a black screen. I had to force it to shut down by pressing the power button, then when I tried to turn it on a second time it would turn on properly with no issues. At first I thought it was a one time occurence, however, when I tried to shut it down again, same thing would happen all over again - it would take minutes to turn off, wouldn't boot when I tried to turn it on the first time, had to force it to turn off by pressing the power button and try a second time.

I hadn't installed or updated any program and the only difference was that there had been a windows defender update installed on that exact day, so I assumed that was the cause even though I wasn't sure. I did a system restore from a few days ago, and the problem was solved.

And today, it happened all over again, the exact same problem. And unsurprisingly, windows defender had updated today as well. So it is obvious it was the update's fault. I did a system restore a second time. Problem solved.

However, I can't keep doing system restores every few days every time that windows defender update messes up my PC. I wanted to avoid turning off automatic updates too because I don't wanna make my system vulnerable, but if the updates keep doing more harm than good, I guess that's what I'll have to do until the update gets fixed.

I can't find where I wrote down the update version the first time it happened, but I wrote it down again this time, and I suppose it is the same one. The update is: KB2267602 version 1.313.1357.0

My laptop is: asus zenbook ux534ft-70d15ab1

Any help is appreciated, although I guess there's not much to be done except fixing the update on Microsoft's part - as I really can't think of anything else that might have caused it, and the fact that those updates were done on the exact same day the problem started to occur seems like too much of a coincidence.

Edit: after checking the update history again, that update is still there. Does it mean it wasn't uninstalled? If so, what might be causing the issues then, as it still seems to be related to those updates, but a system restore fixes it?

I also noticed other windows defender updates that were installed since the first time the problem happened and those didn't cause any issues.

Also, I use windows defender as my antivirus + frequent malwarebytes scans, and those scans come clean, so I assume it isn't a malware issue.

Continue reading...