Windows 10 Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive / Sharepoint Files in Cloud

• Thread starter Thread starter PKolasinski
  • Start date Start date
P

PKolasinski

According to the MS post below, OneDrive on-Demand files are supposed to be viewable in the preview pane, but I can't seem to get it to work. Files that are downloaded (green checkmark) work fine, but those that are on-demand (blue cloud) don't, regardless of file type.

The post: File types supported for previewing files in OneDrive, SharePoint, and Teams

Setup details: We've recently migrated our files into a SharePoint directory, and have set up OneDrive on all the office computers (All relatively new Core i5/i7s, running Windows 10 pro, fully patched, and Office 365 (E5 tier), fully patched). Three computers in the office, all have the same issue. 25MBps broadband connection, if that is somehow relevant.

Problem details: When browsing the Sharepoint directory in Windows explorer, the preview pane is blank if the file is on-demand (has a blue cloud icon next to it). If we download the file (either by opening it, giving it a hollow green checkmark, or by marking to keep it always in the device, getting a solid green checkmark), the preview pane works as usual. Preview pane works just fine for other local files (not in the sharepoint or onedrive directories). The missing preview pane behavior is the same on on-demand files in OneDrive (not sharepoint) directories.

I can use "Extra Large Icons" view to get something vaguely resembling a preview, and those icons populate just fine (it takes a moment for the thumbnails to download, but it's pretty close to instant). This works for some files, but for documents (whether PDF, DOCX, or XLSX), there's just not enough detail there.

I would assume this is not possible, but the above-referenced post explicitly says that we should be able to preview these file types on on-demand files.

I've been searching through the forums and web, but can't seem to find a solution. Any ideas?

Continue reading...

Back