Windows 10 Windows fails to boot natively, but can boot in a VM

• Thread starter Thread starter Anthony_9857
  • Start date Start date
A

Anthony_9857

I have a PC that dual boots Linux and Windows. When booted in Linux, I also boot the Windows install through VirtualBox by passing the disks in directly.

The boot process natively is mobo UEFI -> GRUB -> Windows Boot Loader -> Windows, and the boot process in the VM is vbox UEFI -> GRUB -> Windows Boot Loader -> Windows.

When I try to boot locally, the Windows Boot Loader is loaded and runs with the spinning circle bottom centre for a bit, then BSODs with the error "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE".

VirtualBox booting the same Windows install continues to boot without issue.

If I try to fix the Windows boot form the Windows recovery menu, it says it's unable to fix the boot issues and C:/Windows/System32/LogFiles/Srt/SrtTrail.txt it says "Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem." is the root cause.

Trying to reset Windows from within the recovery menu fails as well.

I had been using this native and virtual boot for about 6 months, across many Windows updates without issues.

Soon before the problem occurred, I had deleted a partition on the drive that Windows is installed on. The drive had 4 partitions. 1 was ZFS - Linux data, 2 was LUKS - Linux swap, 3 is "Microsoft Reserved Partition" and 4 is NTFS C:\ for Windows. I deleted partition 2 and didn't touch or move the two Windows partitions, and their partition numbers are unchanged, so I don't see why that would effect it.

I've uninstalled guest additions form Windows from within a virtualized boot, but Windows continues to fail to boot.

I can't really understand what's going on. Both when running in vbox and running natively it's using the same Windows boot loader to boot the same Windows, and the drives are passed through in full to vbox, so how could it not find the boot device natively, but can find it in vbox? It doesn't seem like it can be UEFI related either even though that differs between the two boots because GRUB is chainloading the Windows bootloader in both cases, and GRUB is loading fine.

Continue reading...

Back