Windows 10 Windows/FIOS - wrong location

• Thread starter Thread starter JoshWeiland
  • Start date Start date
J

JoshWeiland

I have two Windows 10 computers (one personal, one work) think I am in Orland Park, Illinois (central time), but I am in Boston (eastern). This is giving me major timezone headaches. One is my work computer, so I cannot change the timezone on that one manually, and IT won't do it for me. I am on FIOS. When I say that Windows thinks I'm in the wrong location, I mean that: a) if I set timezone automatically, it goes to central. b) if I open windows maps, it shows me in Orland Park, IL. Google maps shows me in the correct location - Boston. Even Bing has the correct location. Since this is on two computers, I found some folks online suggesting that my ip address might be screwy. But when I do a whois lookup on all the ip addresses I can find either on my computers or in my router, they are all fios-related locations in VA or CA, so nothing to do with central time.

I have done a factory reset on the router and the ONT to no avail. When i went into work today and IT put in an ethernet, it knew it was in the right location. When I got back to home, wrong agian - both on wifi and on the ethernet chord direct from the ONT. But - strangely - when I have my computer using the wifi tethered from my phone, which I have on wireless - it still thinks it is in Illinois. This is the only thing that makes me think it might not be something with the router? Verizon chat says it isn't something on their end. so I don't know what to do. Thank you for any help with any more potential paths to explore, or questions to ask Verizon to go beyond what they have looked at.

Continue reading...