Windows 10 Windows freezing while streaming Hulu (and others) for long periods on chrome

• Thread starter Thread starter NathanLevine
  • Start date Start date
N

NathanLevine

I have recently ran into an issue where streaming hulu for several hours causes windows to freeze up in a way I've never experienced. The first sign that its happening is that playback stops and all controls in chrome stop responding. I can always alt F4 to close chrome. But then even my taskbar won't respond. I can bring the taskbar up with the windows key but none of the icons responded to clicks. I can bring up the task manager using ctrl shift esc, and I can click through the tabs but the resource monitoring is frozen and all the applications and services show 0 CPU usage where as the overall CPU usage seems to be stuck at whatever valued it had from before the "crash". I can also Ctrl Alt delete but the options (log out, launch task manager etc) are unresponsive. I can use the power button in the bottom right of the screen. This starts to close windows but just get the circling ring forever. The only thing I can do is reboot the computer by holding the power button. If I try to restart windows explorer from the task manager, it closes but never restarts.

I've also tried stopping processes, turning off my fan control software (MSI dragon center), turning off any other third party software, updating windows, updating GPU drivers, updating Chrome.

Any ideas what else I can try to troubleshoot the issue?

For reference:

Windows 10 Home build 10.0.19042.630

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MSI B450 motherboard

Nvidia RTX 2060 super

Continue reading...