Windows 10 WIndows hangs after login - completely baffled by what might be causing it

• Thread starter Thread starter MattRidout
  • Start date Start date
M

MattRidout

Hey guys,

just got a new build machine with Windows 10 (i9 10850k chip, MSI RTX3080, Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite mobo, OS on Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVME M.2 SSD, 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz RAM) and have had it twice exhibit behaviour where it freezes after PIN signin on Windows 10. Able to boot into safe mode fine, run through the usual tried and tested disable any non-essential services, apps etc, still occurs leading me to believe it might be a hardware or more likely driver issue.

When I restore to an earlier point through system restore it works fine, can play games etc, but then as soon as I reboot and login the behaviour returns within seconds, or occasionally in a minute or so.

I got frustrated enough with it last night that I reinstalled the OS but chose to keep my personal files as the option rather than doing a full install. Upon getting through the process the freeze happened again as soon as I logged in.

So after that I did the full clean OS install getting rid of everything on the drive and it's working a-ok again. Now I've done memory tests for the RAM and all is good in those, it has never happened since updating a specific hardware device, so what could possibly be a factor here?

The fact it returned after doing a light install (keeping files from my previous installation) makes me think it might be something user account specific? Could it be in relation to windows getting stuck in an update loop? I've changed my login now to a local account rather than linking it to an online Microsoft account though not sure that will have much bearing on things? Anyone seen anything like this before?

Matt

Continue reading...

Back