Windows 10 windows indexing options - removable drives - keep disappearing from included locations

• Thread starter Thread starter ScottFerrell4151
  • Start date Start date
S

ScottFerrell4151

hi i have a windows 10 pc. i mount removable drives to the pc's Y & Z. i open 'indexing options'. i add Y & Z. Y & Z are indexed. i reboot the pc (perhaps even put pc to hibernate then bring back from hibernate even tho removable drives still attached). i remount the removable drives to Y & Z (required if a reboot the pc but not if i put pc to hibernate then bring back from hibernate). i browse the files on Y & Z... slow (fast pc but a lot of files & folders). i open indexing options... Y & Z are no longer listed in the included locations. i select modify and add Y & Z. repeat repeat repeat. what are the best options for solving this problem? a less important problem... it appears that advanced options > file types > 'index properties and file contents' keeps re-setting to 'index properties only' as well. i am not opposed to a 'hack'. i already have a batch script that kicks off when i start up the pc that waits until it sees Y & Z to restart the windows indexing service. one theory that i have is... if i create junctions from a non-removable drive (e.g. c:\indexY and c:\indexZ) to Y & Z then will windows index the files on Y & Z thru the junction on the non-removable drive? in short, i don't want to have to keep adding Y & Z to the indexing 'included locations'. i could not find useful powershell commands (or scripts for that matter) e.g. Get-WindowsIndexedLocations to check then (if needed) Set-WindowsIndexedLocations -Add "Z:\" -IndexFileContent "True" thanks in advance ��

Continue reading...