Windows 10 Windows internet speeds are slow in normal boot, fast in safe mode

• Thread starter Thread starter Murdoc.
  • Start date Start date
M

Murdoc.

My question directly relates to this post but it's locked...

I have a similar setup to the OP. I have 1 Gbit fiber from my ISP. I have 2 PC's side by side having reduced bandwidth down (350-400Mb). And I am running a 3rd PC as a home theater PC as a Plex Media server that has no issues with bandwidth down (hitting the normal 940-970Mb).

The 2 PC's have Asus motherboards and the Plex system has an ASRock but all systems have Intel network chipsets with the July 2019 driver. They all have the same windows build, same Intel IRST, same Symantec Endpoint and hard wired to in-wall Cat6 running into the same Cat6 patch panel and connected to the same 1 Gb switch.

The only difference from the OP is that when I boot into "Safe Mode with Networking" on the 2 Asus PC's, the bandwidth test hits my normal speed (using standalone Ookla Speedtest). And up to a 6 months ago, the 2 PC's were getting the normal bandwidth in the 940ish range.

I have been messing with computers and windows since the 90's. I have tried everything I can think of....multiple scans for malware/spyware, rolling back drivers, clean booting, swapping out switches/routers, etc. The only fix so far is running an old Intel Pro/1000 PT server NIC using the base Windows driver dated from 2011 which results in normal bandwidth. Everything points to a driver problem but could it be something specific to Asus, Intel and Windows?

Any feedback would be appreciated. It would be interesting if other people have experienced the same issue.

Continue reading...

Back