Windows 10 Windows Moving apps and windows to my TV while powered off.

• Thread starter Thread starter Dan Bouillon
  • Start date Start date
D

Dan Bouillon

Hello,

I have been struggling with this issue for some time now. Windows 10 consistently moves windows and apps such as iTunes and Google Chrome to my TV when I power it down.

Setup info: My PC has 3 total displays. 1x PC monitor connected via display port at 4k. 1x PC monitor connected via HDMI at 1080p. 1x 4k smart TV connected through Marantz home theater receiver using HDMI cables. The audio from PC goes through HDMI to Home theater. All displays connected to PC via 1080 ti GPU, nothing connected to onboard.

So again, when I power down my TV apps and windows from other two monitors get sent to the now turned off television. What I have noticed is that windows doesn't seem to think the TV is powered down. In the display settings menu, it clearly still shows 3 displays despite the TV being off, while if i turn one or both of the other two displays, those monitors are removed from the display settings menu. This I must assume is due the Marantz amplifier being the item taking in the initial video signal.

Windows must have a way of dealing with this minor detail. Windows should be able to stop sending the video signal to TV through the amp, while maintaining the audio signal which the amp is still using. I have tried setting each different display as my primary which solves nothing, and is also very impractical because which ever display I want to game on HAS to be set as the primary or else most games won't launch on the right display. Very few games have the option to choose which display they will use and typically just render to the main monitor.

I can't really think of anything else that could be the issue aside from windows being confused by the home theater system, thinking that it is a display itself. It makes sense because in the nvidia control panel the display is registered as "Marantz AVHxxxxxx" and not "LG smart tv" or something.

I built this PC so I could experience gaming in way that Mac or any other console will not provide, but if I can't combine that with the joy of incredible audio it's useless...might as well buy a PS4 pro, and just plug into the TV...settle for being a 30 FPS peasant.

Furthermore, I have been trying to get in contact with you via phone. It is now 10:26 on a Saturday morning. Your hours of availability are stated as 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM and the automated message system is just saying that Microsoft support is closed, call back during business hours.

Seriously, step up your game Microsoft.

Continue reading...

Back