Windows 10 Windows no longer fully communicates with my printer/scanner

• Thread starter Thread starter Stricklc
  • Start date Start date
S

Stricklc

After the December 2020 Win10 20H2-OS update, my computer (any of the computers on my network, actually) no longer fully communicates with my Canon MF8350Cdn printer/scanner. I can print wirelessly across my network just fine, but the error code when I attempt to scan across the network indicates Windows "cannot communicate with the scanner." I have (numerous times) uninstalled and reinstalled the MF printer using both the Windows "Add a printer or scanner" function, as well as the latest printer installation program downloaded from Canon. Each iteration results in the same outcome: I can print, but not scan.

Thinking it might be the scanning software, I did the same troubleshooting with the Canon MFToolBox scan software for my printer, as well as the Microsoft Windows Scan app from the Windows Store. The Windows Scan software sees/lists my printer correctly upon starting, but provides an error statement when attempting to scan. The Canon software locks-up when attempting to either Uninstall or Install/Repair when it tries to reach-out to the printer to make a connection to confirm the hardware is there.

The MF8350 has not been moved (which might've caused a physical fault with the scanner, itself), and I can still scan straight to a USB plugged into the printer. So, it's not the scanner hardware.

Next troubleshooting step was to see if it might be a network issue. Nope. The printer registers just fine in my network Admin page. I have tried DHCP settings for the network printer/scanner, as well as a static IP (my current network config). Confirmed network settings on the printer itself (both IPv4 and IPv6, thinking that might have something to do to it). I've reset and exempted the static IP in my firewall settings. If it was truly "the network," then I wouldn't be able to see the device on my network, nor be able to print.

I've used this printer for nearly a decade with absolutely no issues - regardless of network architecture, brands of routers, different laptops/tablets, household moves to a different states, etc - until after the 20H2-OS Win10 update a couple of months ago.

At this point, I'm lost and I REALLY need to be able to scan on a consistent basis, both for personal reasons as well as "work" in this modern/pandemic teleworking environment.

Any thoughts or recommendations to try and get this running again? Did the (new) OS build change a buried default setting that now only recognizes the print function of my multi-function printer?

Continue reading...

Back