Windows 10 Windows Not Hiding E-Mail on Lock Screen, Signing Users In, Black Screens

• Thread starter Thread starter Bnetquery
  • Start date Start date
B

Bnetquery

I've recently bought a new computer from a well known and trusted PC/laptop supplier. My last system was purchased from them with Windows installed and setup left to myself, no problems whatsoever. The system has been working fairly well, I had a few blue screen pop ups with a video TDR error. I believe this was down to a faulty HDMI, I've replaced it with a newer and high quality HDMI cable and all seems fine in that regard.

I have, however, been having some difficulty using Windows 10.

Firstly, a minor issue but it does bother me; we have 3 users on the computer. On the lock screen, the other 2 users' email addresses are hidden and it just shows their full name. For my account, the email address is shown on the lock screen as opposed to a name. I've looked up how to change this and gone to 'sign-in options' and set the 'show my account details' box to off. Yet my email address is still listed as the login username. How can I change this?

Secondly, I'm noticing quite often that when trying to shut down the computer, it is warning me that other users are still logged in. This applies even when I've been the only user to login after turning on the computer. I've spoken to one user, and they have started up the computer from being completely turned off, signed into their account only, used the computer for a time and when going to turn it off, another user is shown as being signed in. I find this myself when signing into my account. The computer is always turned off after use, so I don't know if it's keeping users logged in when they turn the computer off without selecting 'sign out' beforehand, or if it is logging in other users in the background. Either way it's becoming increasingly annoying, and I've never had this kind of problem with our last family computer.

(In addition to this, I have noticed some odd behavior - I entered my login PIN about a week ago and it started the sign in process, only for the lock screen to appear again as if I hadn't just entered my pin so I had to do the same again to login. I also tried to switch user earlier to logout the user who seemed to still be logged in, and the screen went a shade of black (the kind that shows when the computer is still running in the background) with just a cursor on screen.

Third, OneDrive was properly installed and automatically installed for every other user. I couldn't access the app from my own account (which is the primary administrator and first account created on the system) and files weren't syncing. I tried to search for the OneDrive app in files to open it and it was just an empty file. I found a way to install it through the online installation process and it has since started working properly on my account. This action was not necessary for the other 2 user accounts.

Is it possible that I have a faulty version of Windows 10? I have used Windows 10 before, although not much since my last computer broke down in 2017. Help would be appreciated as I am usually quite good at fixing these things but I'm finding a lot of the new features aren't quite working properly.

Continue reading...