Windows 10 Windows Push Notifications User Service Issue - Process Maxes Out CPU and Memory

• Thread starter Thread starter OliverBackes
  • Start date Start date
O

OliverBackes

After updating Windows 10 today, I've run into a strange issue: a single process, Windows Push Notifications User Service, will regularly start and then slowly use nearly all my available CPU and Memory until either I end the process or the computer ceases to function. When I end the process, it is dormant for a while but always restarts again and goes through the same cycle of using up all available CPU and Memory.

From what I can tell, the issue is not with any particular app trying to send a push notification but rather with the Windows Push Notification Service itself. I have all notifications turned off; however, I find that the process always starts up when I got to the Notification Settings tab. When I do that, no apps are shown under "Get notifications from these senders" nor are any of the lower down options shown either; instead, I just get the loading circular dots animation under "Get notifications from these senders" while the Windows Push Notifications process slowly uses up all available CPU and Memory. When I forcibly end the task using the Task Manager, the loading dots are replaced by the following text: "No senders have provided notifications yet."

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? I spoke with Windows technical support but they were unable to fix the problem - nearly as soon as I got off the phone with them (thinking the issue was fixed), it happened again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back