Windows 10 Windows screen recorder doesn't record apps that go from windowed to full screen (such as slide shows)

• Thread starter Thread starter HarisF1
  • Start date Start date
H

HarisF1

As a foreword, I had posted a thread like this on the Office 365 area but it is very clear that this issue is to do with the Windows Screen Recorder function not tracking window changes/apps producing a full screen view.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 1)]This is an issue that has appeared recently. When using any form of MS screen recording, I used to select Powerpoint as my recorded application and then started a slide show on my chosen screen recording app (Teams, Streams, Xbox Game Bar). The slide show would also be recorded and everything was normal.

Very recently however, when I click into a Slide Show, the screen share/recorder does not register the Slide Show as part of the Powerpoint software so it will not record the slide show. It only records the editing view and will not track my presentation.

I am using an RTX 3080 graphics card and recently installed it so I think it may be related.

These are the steps I have tried - no solution:

- Installed Powerpoint 365 (from PPT 2010) and this was fine for one day, before the issue started again.

- Different browsers (tried Chrome, Edge, reinstalled both)

- Teams as well as Game Bar

- Reinstalled graphics drivers
- Reset graphics settings

- Disabled Hardware Acceleration in PPT

- Switched between PCIe 4.0 and 3.0

- Presenter view, still nothing.

- Record slide show works in PPT but the screen recorder will not record the new view.

Essentially, the screen recorder treats the PPT and the slide show as two separate entities so will not switch from one to the other, as was possible before. In order to record the Slide Show I need to start it first, before alt-tabbing to record. This is INCONVENIENT. Especially as there was no issue before.

Cheers.

[/COLOR]

More testing - some strange patterns.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 1)]I’ve been testing various methods and solutions and I’ve got a tiny bit of success. My first success was when I noticed that a brand new presentation would enter the slide show view on the screen recording. This new presentation had a 16:9 aspect ratio so I figured it may solve issues. It didn’t.

The second success was when I noticed that saving a .ppt file (that always worked with Teams before this problem) as .pptx, it would work perfectly fine. This renamed file still doesn’t work on PPT2010. Even renaming it and saving is fine.

My third success came from testing #1 on a file that had described issue. I realised that renaming my from “L1.0 – Organisation – Organ Systems.pptx” to “L1.0 – Organ Systems” with a 16:9 ratio caused it to be fixed. Further testing showed me that the “ – XXXX – “ part of the file name caused the issue to reappear when used, on pretty much all examples.

Applying one or all of these has currently fixed the issue for me as workarounds, but the underlying problem remains. These methods only work on PPT 365, not PPT 2010.
[/COLOR]

Continue reading...

Back