Windows 10 Windows Speech Recognition

• Thread starter Thread starter Kenneth Brod
  • Start date Start date
K

Kenneth Brod

Questions:

1. What can we do to mitigate issues we are having with Windows Speech Recognition (WSR)?
  2. What conditions need to exist for optimum functionality?
  3. What additional support does Microsoft provide to those with medical conditions requiring the use of WSR (in addition to the list of commands, set up instructions, etc.)?

Background

Our company needs to use WSR or a similar voice recognition software to provide medical accommodations to those with hand, wrist, or arm injuries. This is a legal compliance issue. In the past, we issued Dragon Naturally Speaking (DNS) to those with a doctor's prescription for this. Now we have Windows 10. We are now training people on how to use WSR so we don't need to purchase and install DNS on their computers, but we are receiving complaints, so I am troubleshooting the issues. (I'm in the training department.)

My Windows 10 is version 1803 (OS Build 17134.1845). I am assuming this is what has been rolled out to all of us at our company, but I would need to check with our IT department to verify that. Most of us are using Jabra headset microphones. My WSR version is 8.0.

We have experienced several issues with this app, such as it freezing, being non-responsive, or disappearing altogether. We found that by rebooting, this corrects the problem. Unfortunately, some people need to reboot several times a day. Another issue is how many times a person needs to repeat a command before it recognizes and executes the command, and how long it takes for WSR to respond to a command. The only solution we have found for this, is to just keep trying and practicing.

In addition to the helps and resources available within the WSR tool/app itself and YouTube resources, we have leveraged the following Microsoft sources for information, including those for Dictate:

Continue reading...

Back