Windows 10 Windows Update failing (Error Message 0x8007000d)

• Thread starter Thread starter BastianHaab
  • Start date Start date
B

BastianHaab

Hello,

I have issues updating my PC. After downloading and installing in the Windows Update section of the settings I am getting the 0x8007000d error. Everything I've tried so far did not resolve the issue:

• Ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter ("Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem")
  • Tried both of the solutions proposed by two users in this thread.

First one (posted by 'Mike P) gave me this error message:

Ren : Access to the path 'C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution' is denied.

At line:6 char:1

+ Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution:String) [Rename-Item], IOException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : RenameItemIOError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RenameItemComman

The second one (posted by Andre Da Costa) this:

Ren : Cannot rename because item at '%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution' does not exist.​

At line:1 char:1​

+ Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak​

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Rename-Item], PSInvalidOperationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperation,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.RenameItemCommand

Same Error for the catroot2.bak-File.​

• I then tried to manually install the update according to this how-to article, which failed as well. The installer simply says: "Some updates were not installed. The following updates were not installed: Update for Windows (KB5001649)"

Any advice or solution would be appreciated.

Some additional Info:

• Current Windows Version: Windows 10 x64 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685)
  • I've been trying to manually install 2021-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5001649), it has failed in the automatic updater as well. I first encountered the issue when trying to install 2021-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5000802) in the updater.

Continue reading...

Back