Windows 10 Windows Update messed up my sound

• Thread starter Thread starter euniqe
  • Start date Start date
E

euniqe

Hello,

I updated my Windows 10 installation; "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809" on 10/3/19.

Ever since then, my sound card has been playing up. I have been running the same card on the same motherboard, with the same settings, on the same installation of Windows 10 literally since Windows 10 was made available to the public. It was in fact running on windows 8.1 before that, and Windows 8 before that.

The sound card is a SoundBlaster Recon3D PCIe. The motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77V-LX. CPU is an Intel I7-3770, Windows 10 is installed on an SSD.

As I mentioned, up until this update the sound has been completely fine. No problems with anything. However, I noticed after the update that the sound will vary between being completely normal at one time, and then all of a sudden without warning the output starts distorting/buzzing continuously. This distorting/buzzing also goes away after a while for seemingly no apparent reason.

I deleted the sound card driver, deleted all other audio drivers and restarted the computer and reinstalled the SoundBlaster driver and software. Whilst this eliminated the buzzing/distorting, it created a new issue - the speaker channels (left, right, rear-left, rear-right, center, sub) would randomize themselves for no apparent reason whilst playing audio through any source. All of a sudden left channel would switch to right, then disappear entirely or any other combination. I right-clicked the speaker icon in the taskbar, selected "troubleshoot audio" and found out that the "enable audio enhancements" box had been selected in the speaker properties (see image link View: https://imgur.com/a/pgktQGh
). I de-selected this box, and lo and behold the channel-swapping problem was fixed, but the buzzing/distorting returned.

Now as I mentioned I have never had a problem with any audio up to this point. It should also be mentioned that plugging headphones into the headphone port on the front of the case of my computer that uses the high-definition audio output of the motherboard, also presents the buzzing/distorting. It happened at exactly the same time the Windows 10 update occurred, which makes it extremely unlikely and/or coincidental for a hardware error to have simultaneously occurred.

I have tried everything I can think of to rectify this situation, and nothing has worked. I am desperate for a fix, as I want to believe this is hanlon's razor; that Windows 10 software engineers aren't in fact forcing me to buy new hardware in the hope that will work and instead have made a mistake and the latest update simply has some broken code that isn't playing well with my admittedly antique hardware.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Continue reading...