Windows 10 Windows Update stuck at 77%. I stopped the PC, now there is a black screen when restarting...

• Thread starter Thread starter gongarda
  • Start date Start date
G

gongarda

Hi there,

I have a dual boot PC with ubuntu and Windows 10. When starting up Windows it began updating and got stuck at 77%. I let it continue for quite a while but even the dots stopped moving. I then stopped the computer. When restarting it in Windows, I get a blank screen with a blinking prompt in upper left corner. No response to typing, no cmd, nothing. It will only respond to Ctrl+Alt+Supr, to restart again.

How can I recover Windows 10? Please note that my PC works perfectly fine in Ubuntu. I am writing this post from it. I would like to keep the dual boot while recovering Windows. Is it possible to do it without reinstalling it?

THanks,

PS: The only problem in Ubuntu is that it cannot access the NTFS partitions I created (including the one where Windows sits), it says (I copying this in case it is relevant for my question above)

Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/david/94C0032BC0031362: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda2" "/media/david/94C0032BC0031362"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

When I mount the

Continue reading...

Back